Supplementary or Comprehensive coverage?

12 August 2016
This article was published before the transition to the new Plan Administrator, Canada Life. If you have any questions, contact the PSHCP Member Contact Centre at 1-855-415-4414 (toll-free anywhere in North America) or 1-431-489-4064 (call collect if you are outside North America).

What is Supplementary coverage?

Supplementary coverage is intended for eligible participants residing in Canada who are covered under a provincial/territorial health insurance plan.

What is Comprehensive coverage?

Comprehensive coverage is intended for members and their eligible dependants residing outside Canada who are not covered under a provincial/territorial health insurance plan or under a non-government hospital insurance plan. This coverage provides the equivalent health and hospital care (except for retired members), as far as possible, to coverage available to Plan members residing in Canada under a provincial/territorial health care plan and with PSHCP Supplementary coverage.

Are you moving out of country? You might be eligible for Comprehensive coverage if you are:

  • a public service employee posted abroad,
  • an employee on leave without pay (LWOP) to serve with any organization outside Canada (other than a public service bargaining agent or credit union) where the leave is certified as being to the advantage of the department or is being performed at the request of the Government of Canada,
  • an employee on educational leave outside Canada where the leave is certified as to the advantage of the department or agency,
  • a pensioner residing outside Canada who is not eligible for coverage under a provincial health care plan,
  • an eligible dependant residing with the employee/retired member outside Canada,
  • a member of a household outside Canada who resides with a public service employee posted abroad and who is dependent upon the employee for financial support; an “Application for Designation of Additional Dependant for Comprehensive Coverage” form must be completed.

If you are a PSHCP member moving outside Canada or returning to the country from residing abroad, it is important that you maintain and modify your level of coverage according to your needs. Each year, the PSHCP Administration Authority receives an increasing number of appeals from members that have omitted to modify their coverage, and as a result, their claims are denied and cannot be reimbursed.

You alone are responsible for amending your coverage when moving to or from Canada. Advising your Compensation office or the Public Service Pension Office (PSPO) of your change of address will not automatically adjust your level of coverage. In order to successfully amend your coverage, you must specifically identify yourself as a member of the PSHCP and state your desire to modify your coverage. The PSPO nor your Compensation office can modify your coverage without your written consent.

Federal employees may make changes to their coverage through the Compensation Web Application.

Retired members must fill out a Pensioner Application Form (found here) and mail it to the address below:

Public Works and Government Services Canada
Government of Canada Pension Centre
Mail Facility
150 Dion Boulevard
PO Box 8000
Matane QC G4W 4T6

The PSHCP provides coverage for a wide variety of health-related products and services for members both at home and abroad. For more information on the coverage available, click here.